Name: ___________________________________ Block: ______ Date:______________
FLIGHT UNIT REVIEW GUIDE
Answer each question completely and use this sheet and your notes to help you prepare for the test. You will not be able to use notes for this test. In addition, visit my website and search for information at mmsnet.org.
1. If air has a slow velocity, its air pressure is: higher lower
2. What scientist developed this idea? _________________________________________
3. Draw a picture that illustrates high and low pressures around a moving plane wing.
4. Your wood planes did not have curved wings; however, they were still able to fly. What law explains why?
5. A curved wing generates more lift than a flat wing. It is more efficient. Why is this?
6. What did Sir George Cayley include on his plane? _______________________________________________
7. How would you get a bubble to move to the right by using Newton? Bernoulli's Principle?
8. What happens to a shark if it stops lashing its tail? Explain how the 4 forces of flight would affect it.
9. How are kites able to fly? What law explains why? __________________________________________
10. Is it easier to lift off the ground in winter or in summer? Think air pressure. Winter Summer
11. A dropping helicopter falls in a straight line. This is an example of Newton's _____________________
12. How is a Frisbee able to fly? Whose law or principle states why this is? Does a Frisbee have to spin?
13. You may only alter one variable at a time when doing an experiment. All other variables should be kept the…
14. Lift opposes ______________________
15. What two forces are increased (when landing) when pilots lower the flaps on the back of the wings?
Drag Lift Thrust Weight
16. What two forces are increased when the angle of attack increases about 10 degrees above the horizon?
Drag Lift Thrust Weight
17. How much thrust is required to fly a 500 pound plane if its lift to drag ratio is 20 to 1? Write a proportion to discover the answer.
18. What control surface is moved to change pitch? __________________________________________
19. What control surfaces are moved to change roll? __________________________________________
20. What prevents yaw? __________________________________________
21. Why are wings designed to have dihedral?
22. Why can't a plane fly to the moon?
23. If a plane has its left aileron down and the right one up, you would find a greater pressure under the ___________ wing.
24. What was the date of the Wright Brothers' famous flight? _________________________________________
25. The propeller on your plane uses... Newton, Bernoulli, Both
26. Finish this hypothesis: As weight of a plane increases…
27. 9000 mm = _______ meters
28. 150 meters = _____________ Kilometers
29. How does a wing generate lift? There are two ways. Draw and explain.
30. Which aspect ratio would generate more lift? 4? 2? 1?
31. What wing dimensions could give an aspect ratio of 4?