________________________________________ Chemistry Exam Review
- Circle everything that is ionic:
+ nonmetals, charges,
salt, transfer, nonmetals + nonmetals
- Covalent or Ionic? Circle the ionic
- Which type of element can make ionic and covalent
- What is covalent
bonding? Define it. This is where toms share their outer electrons to complete
- Explain why fluorine can
have an ionic charge of " -1". If fluorine takes an electron to complete
its ring it becomes an ion with a -1 charge. This is because it has 9 +
- Why is it that Chlorine
and Fluorine behave somewhat alike? They each have 7 outer electrons. The each only
need one more electron to complete their outer ring.
- __outer_ What
is another word for "valent"?
- __5 ___ How
many valent electrons will you find in neutral nitrogen?
- Draw all of the rings for beryllium
below. Place the correct number of electrons on each ring.
- Draw these molecules: Please show all
valent electrons. Be neat!
- __H __ Which
atom of a water molecule is slightly more positive in charge?
- Name an atom that makes 1
bond (H, F,
Cl, Br, I, At)
- Write the formula for the missing compound below.
LiOH + HF -----> H2O
- Balance this equation:
Al + 3CuO ------> Al2O3
+ 3 Cu.
- What elements make up your
Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Sulphur
- __12_ How many atoms
are in 2 C2H4? __2__
elements? _2_ Molecules?
- ______Al____ =
This metal has 3 electrons on its 3rd ring. Its first 2 rings are
- If you wanted to speed up
a reaction, what would you do? Add a catalyst or heat
- What do we call atoms that
have more neutrons, or fewer neutrons than normal? Isotopes
- All carbon atoms must have the same number of
- An example of a lipid is _________fat_____________
- Glucose, a carbohydrate, has the formula:
- An atom with a positive or negative charge is
called an ____ ion _______
- What new atom will you get if a proton
is added to the nucleus of oxygen?__ F
- Why can't sodium bond covalently?
It can't complete its outer ring.
- What is the formula when Al mixes with Cl? ______AlCl3_____
- Identify each reaction below:
__A_ C + O2 ---> CO2
D CO2 ---> C + O2
- What did Dimitri Mendeleev
- What are the 3 subatomic particles that make up
atoms? What is the charge of each particle?
Protons = +,
Electrons = -
Neutrons = neutral
- Why doesn't helium react with other atoms?
It is noble.
- What makes atoms of one
element different from atoms of another element? # of protons in the
- What is a catalyst? Something that speeds up a